When developing, I keep my G1 on my desk with a desk fan plus some
couple rare earth magnets I fiddle with when bored (maybe they're not
the best fiddle toy).  Not surprisingly, the magnets really knock the
magnetic compass out of whack, but the desk fan does too, even at a
foot or two away.  So it's pretty sensitive, and pretty useless for
determining true north if there's any sort of magnetic pollution.
That's not the device's fault -- the earth's field is relatively weak
compared to a nearby motor.

More interestingly, I've also found that it takes a while to return to
normal after being confused.  Taking the phone outside or otherwise
away from magnetic pollution and it still does not find magnetic north
accurately.  I haven't timed it, but there does seem to be some re-
calibration happening.

When I haven't confused it, the G1's magnetic compass agrees with
other magnetic compasses, so I'd guess it's correct to within 5-10
degrees in a magnetically clean environment.  It's not rocky steady --
it seems to fluctuate a little, so there's some noise in the signal.