I'm developing a family of applications that have a lot of
functionality in common. In eclipse, I have a "core" project with all
the base functionality. Each individual application project has this
core project on its build path, so it can use the functionality
offered by the core project.

This works fine for code: the android eclipse plugin packages all code
in the .apk files of the application projects, so each application apk
file is then a self-contained application.

However, I also want to reuse the resources that are used by the core
project, like layouts and images. The "core" project is an android
project with resources, but these resources are not packaged
automatically in the application projects.

In a perfect world, the "core" resources would be merged in the
application project seamlessly, even updating R.java in the
application project when a core resource changed. I understand this is
probably too much to hope for, and I might end up juggling two "R"
classes in my application: the core R in one package and the
application R in another package.

Outside of eclipse I can see how this might work: I package both sets
of resources in the apk file, and with two AssetManager (and
Resources) instances manage the two sets of resources. Or maybe I use
ant to first create a single distribution by merging the core and
application project files into a single directory, and then build the
apk like you would do when there is only a single project.

Is there some way to trick eclipse into packaging both "core" and
"application" resources files into one .apk file?