Not that I do this intentionally :-)

Usually people give ratings only after they use your app. Now, after running
the app, giving ratings is a hassle. The user needs to go into Market, find
your app, and rate it.

But .... if you push a new update, those users who like your app enough will
download the update, and conveniently they can rate your app during the
download.

For the people who hate your app, they won't bother to install the update.
And, if they use "Settings" to uninstall your app, they won't even have a
chance to give you one star before uninstalling.

I found this out because every time I push an update, within a few hours I
get a bunch of new ratings and good reviews.