On Apr 16, 11:21 pm, Mariano Kamp <mariano.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, whatever happened to Justin?

Thumbing through old VMS manuals, perhaps (no patents there that I
remember of)?

Interesting things to be learned there. How relying on process
prioritization alone is insufficient to achieve proper balancing of
processes to arrive at a desired user experience (Not like Apple's
approach throwing the baby out with the bathes was better). Similar
things could be said about that hard 16MB cutoff although that's
pretty generous even in a VM environment. Not like devels have
appreciated that much.

Building systems back in the day was an exercise in frugality and
apportioning process resources, as opposed to throwing blades in,
installing VMware and then wondering what to do with all that heat.
Sort-of academically speaking, all these dials we used to have were a
powerful model to express the semantics of programs in terms of their
resource needs when executed but I can see how this does not translate
to the modern days.