Another suggestion is to try to run the maps demo that comes with the sdk:

<sdk>/add-ons/google_apis-3/samples/MapsDemo

Also as explained in
http://code.google.com/android/add-ons/google-apis/maps-overview.html
you need to sign your APK. Disclaimer: I never actually ran the demo
nor used the maps API myself, I just read the doc.

R/