Dianne,
I really don't want control over the notification at all. I beleive
that i am either missing something or doing something the wrong way.
maybe you can tell me what i am doing wrong or know someone that could
point me in the wright direction.

My understanding of intents is that the whole point of them is so that
you can have multiple applications providing similar or the same
functionality and that those applications become interchangable via
intents. Now when a new sms comes in there is a notification in the
notification bar and that notification will allow any application
implementing the correct intent ("action view and data of sms") to be
triggered from the notification to display the sms.  This part works
perfectly. The issues is that when the notification trigers my
application instead of the default messaging application the
notification never goes away.  I have marked the sms as read and done
everything i can think of to try to trigger it to update the
notification to either the next sms or to remove the notification.  I
am happy to post my code if that helps as i have to be missing
something.  It makes no sense to allow developers to offer alternative
applications via intents with the notifications and then have the
notification never go away.

I mean i have clicked th notification to trigger the intent and i have
marked the sms as read when my app loads the intent.  Is there
something else i need to do?  Fire some other intent or something?

This is all just an atempt to work around the issue
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2261.  All i want to
do is allow my users to send sms over the internet.  The issues is why
you can implement an intent for a new sms half the sms my users send
are replies and since reply is built into most sms apps unless the
issue above is implemented you need to write an app to view sms so
that you can capture the replies hence what i am trying to do above.
I really want to keep this as simple as possible as this is only a
small part of my application but it is turning out to be the bigest
time consumer.

Chris