Dimitris wrote:
> Why is noone ever responding here?

Thousands of messages appear on this list every week. Not all get answered.

In some cases, those who read the question may not know the answer. For
example, I have no idea about your second one, and I only happened to
look at the first one this evening for another project.

>>> First whenever a group or child has a custom background color set the
>>> orange selector does not show up.

That may occur if you are not providing a multi-state drawable as the
background.

For example, here is the built-in Android background for an EditText:

<selector xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";>
    <item android:state_focused="true"
android:drawable="@drawable/editbox_background_focus_yellow" />
    <item android:drawable="@drawable/editbox_background_normal" />
</selector>

That's not a PNG file -- it's an XML file indicating two distinct
nine-patch PNG files. One is used when the EditText has the focus; one
is the normal case.

If you replace the background of an EditText with a plain color (e.g.,
android:background="#FFFF0000"), you will lose the focus selector,
because you're saying the background is *always* the plain color.

Instead, try using a selector XML file as above, providing backgrounds
for both the focused and normal states.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Need Android talent? Ask on HADO! http://wiki.andmob.org/hado