Hi,

Been having some issues with my PhoneStateListener, what i would like
it to do is to always listen to CellLocationUpdates even when the
phone "sleeps". I am currently trying to do this with the following
code.

public class MyService extends Service {

  public void onCreate() {

    // Start listening to the phone
    mMyPhoneListener = new MyPhoneStateListener(this);
    mTelephonyManager = (TelephonyManager)getSystemService
(TELEPHONY_SERVICE);
    mTelephonyManager.listen(mMGPhoneListener,
PhoneStateListener.LISTEN_CELL_LOCATION)

   mPm = (PowerManager) getSystemService(Context.POWER_SERVICE);
   mWl = mPm.newWakeLock(PowerManager.PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK, "MYS");
   mWl.acquire();

  Log.d("MGS", "ServiceOnCreate");

  }

   public void onDestroy() {

   // Stop listen to the location updates
   mTelephonyManager.listen(mMGPhoneListener,
PhoneStateListener.LISTEN_NONE);

   // Release wake lock
   mWl.release();

   Log.d("MGS", "ServiceOnDestroy");
  }
}

public class MyPhoneStateListener extends PhoneStateListener {

    public void onCellLocationChanged(CellLocation location) {

    // DOING SOME LOGGING

    }
}

Even though i am using a PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK the CellLocationUpdates
stop when the phone "sleeps", i am almost certain that my service is
not getting destroyed as i have debug in place onDestroy to show this
happening on logcat.

I have also noticed this on logcat,

D/MGS     ( 6153): ServiceOnCreate (my debug of the service starting)

and

D/SurfaceFlinger(   59): About to give-up screen, flinger = 0x1841e8
D/dalvikvm(  143): GC freed 54 objects / 2328 bytes in 146ms
D/dalvikvm( 6153): GC freed 2115 objects / 126456 bytes in 140ms

Is this android freeing up the memory from my service? looks like the
same PID?

Can anyone shed some light on why i am not receiving any updates after
the screen/phone "sleeps"?

Thanks Liam.