There are two ways to do this:
1) have the phones running your app sign in to a central server with
their location, and the server informs the phones of each other. Then
they can contact each other however you like. One problem is that 50m
is a small radius for the phone's ability to detect its location.
2) use zeroconf, also known as Bonjour, over WiFi. This is not built
into Android, so you'd have to find a Java port, such as
http://jmdns.sourceforge.net/ which is used in at least one other
Android project: http://dacp.jsharkey.org/

Yusuf Saib
Android
·T· · ·Mobile· stick together
The views, opinions and statements in this email are those of the
author solely in their individual capacity, and do not necessarily
represent those of T-Mobile USA, Inc.