hm...  okay, so I check for null in my onCreate() method.

public void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceData) {
    if (savedInstanceData == null) {
        // do everything I did before.
        // show splash screen
        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
    }
}

However, now if I'm in my app, I click on "home", and then click on
the icon again, it behaves as expected, it simply brings the app back
in the expected state.  If I hit "back" and then click on the icon
again, it behaves like I launched a brand new app - shows the splash
screen, etc...