On Aug 21, 5:09 pm, Mark Murphy <mmur...@commonsware.com> wrote:
> David Golombek wrote:
> > We could kill our app proactively, as soon
> > as we launch the ACTION_VIEW activity, but then we're left in a bad
> > state if the user aborts.
>
> Why? In other words, what difference is there between:
>
> -- the user exits your application via back-button
> -- Android closes up your application to reclaim memory
> -- Android kills off your application's process to reclaim memory in a hurry
> -- you close up intentionally as part of the upgrade process

We've set up our app to background itself when the back-button is hit
(mostly
in terms of services, but also a couple native threads) so that we can
perform background processing. For the second and third points, what
notification would the app get that it is being closed/killed? As I
mentioned, our onDestroy() handler isn't called, which is what we
were triggering off of, but at least in the upgrade case this isn't
called.

> If your concern is that you don't want to keep nagging the user about
> the new version if they expressly aborted the upgrade, write yourself a
> file/preference/database record indicating you've already told them
> before you launch them into the APK/market and close up shop.

Ah, thank you, didn't think of that.

Thanks,
Dave Golombek
www.flexilis.com

PS: Sorry for the double post, for some reason my first post wasn't
showing up when I searched for it.