DDMS sends a string that essentially says "give me a screenshot" to
the device, which sends back image data, all through a socket. You
could in theory take the DDMS code and repurpose it to your needs. You
might start by taking a look at system/core/adb/framebuffer_service.c
and who calls it. Bear in mind that you can't screencapture on the
device unless you're running as root. DDMS gets around this by sending
the string to a root process.

Yusuf Saib
Android
·T· · ·Mobile· stick together
The views, opinions and statements in this email are those of the
author solely in their individual capacity, and do not necessarily
represent those of T-Mobile USA, Inc.