I've seen this in the Gallery API Demo shipping with the SDK.

There is an attrs.xml holding declare-stylable tags, and the gallery
adapter then does this:

in attrs.xml:

    <declare-styleable name="Gallery1">
        <attr name="android:galleryItemBackground" />
    </declare-styleable>

in Gallery1.java:

            // See res/values/attrs.xml for the <declare-styleable>
that defines
            // Gallery1.
            TypedArray a = obtainStyledAttributes
(R.styleable.Gallery1);
            mGalleryItemBackground = a.getResourceId(

R.styleable.Gallery1_android_galleryItemBackground, 0);
            a.recycle();

            // The preferred Gallery item background
            i.setBackgroundResource(mGalleryItemBackground);

I couldn't find any point in the code where the background resource is
set to an actual value. There is a gallery_background_1 drawable
defined, but it's nowhere used (at least Eclipse search didn't find
any references to it).