I don't think it is possible that this is "not an interesting
question", based on the amount of activity in this and other similar
posts about how to "hide" or "show" the sofkeyboard programatically.
I've tested a lot of this behaviour on G1 and G2 (Hero) and the
behaviour is either very buggy or there are a lot of subtle
dependencies on other settings that either aren't documented or aren't
intuitively obvious. Let's hope that the experts can ring in with some
comments soon.

-DWass