Unless there is a third party app messing with you, there is something
broken with your software.  The typical behavior is:

- Screen dims after the screen-off timeout sets in preferences, and then
turns off (and locks) a few seconds later.
- Screen turns off and locks with you press them end call / power button.

This can be changed by applications -- for example most apps that play
videos turn on the option to keep the screen on while the video is playing,
so then you will need to manually press the power key to make it turn off.
Apps can also hold wake locks to impact how the device goes to sleep, though
they need to be granted the power permission to do so.  (No permission is
needed to simply keep the screen on while your window is in the foreground.)

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

answer them.