I'm definitely not getting anywhere close to that limit
(GL_MAX_ELEMENTS_VERTICES).

I'm pretty close to a root cause for at least a large percentage of
the flickering events... It has something to do with my thread
synchronization, but it's not obvious to me how it causes the flicker.

I have three threads:
* main / UI thread
* logic thread
* rendering thread (created by GLSurfaceView)

The majority of the flickering happens when I do something to generate
UI events (touch the screen, move the trackball, etc).  I end up
passing a message to the logic thread, which may be sleeping:

    public void queueGameEvent(GameEvent ev) {
        synchronized(mGameLoop) {
            if ( first_event != null ) first_event.next_event = ev;
            else first_event = ev;
            ev.next_event = null;
            //mGameLoop.notifyAll(); // wake sleeping threads
        }
    }

When I have the notfyAll() call enabled, it flickers badly.  Without
it, I rarely see flickers (still some, though).  That method is called
from the UI thread, and should result in waking up the logic thread.
Any ideas on how / why that affects the rendering?

Thanks,
Jeremy