I believe the antenna does in fact stay on.

I fully expect, too that the phone state listener won't get notified
of changes if the CPU is asleep.

It just appears that the telephony listener is not informed of
telephony changes unless there is at least a dim wake lock.  Partial
wake lock isn't enough.

I wonder if this is a bug or a feature request that can be filed.... ?

Richard Schilling