That is interesting although I do not understand logcat yet.

I tried copying the debug.keystore from the working machine and using
the api key from that machine instead. No difference. I regenerated
the md5 fingerrprint with keytool on my netbook and Google returned
the same api key as for the upstairs machine.

So it looks like the crash is not due to a bad api key. The netbook
will run fairly complex non-mapview programs just fine, and only has
trouble when mapview is added to an .xml layout file.

I must somehow have improperly set up the environment. Or there is
something peculiar about the HP netbooks with the Atom270 chip.

By the way, Google Maps works great freestanding on the emulator when
it is not being called by my program.

I'll try to fing the logcat output and look for clues....

Cheers