Could you be a little more specific on how to register the
motionListeners ?

I declare the gesture detector at the top of my program like so:
private GestureDetector gestureScanner;

and  just before loading the layout that uses motion detectors i have
this: gestureScanner = new GestureDetector(this);

I define what must be done for a single tap like so:

        @Override
        public boolean onSingleTapUp(MotionEvent e)
        {
           // do something
        }

Thanks for the help.