Hi,

I'm trying to understand how end-users will upgrade their device
firmware from Android ver. X to X+1.

A new build of Android contains system.img and userdata.img (among
others). system.img is read-only, so I don't see any problem with
simply replacing the user's existing copy. However, simply overwriting
userdata.img with a newer version would destroy all of an end-users
application data (wouldn't it?).

I'm trying to understand how this process will work for our Android-
based device. It seems that the designers of Android must have had a
plan for doing this without the user losing all of their data, but I
can't find any documentation about this.

Googling for this information yields lots of pages containing hacker-
level instructions (e.g. adb commands) -- still no idea how this
process was envisioned to work for average end-users.

Does anyone know how this is supposed to work, or where this is
documented?

Thanks.