I'm not a lawyer...

But Google has absolutely no right to try to litigate on your behalf.  They
can't file criminal charges, they would have to file civil charges, but to
file a civil charge, the defendant has to be wronged in some way.  I
understand they could try "We've been wronged by you damaging the community
in general", but thats shaky ground, its far easier for an individual to
prove they've been wronged when that person has actually violated your
copyright...

Filing a civil suit in small claims court (and lets be honest, with the size
of the android market, you're not looking at anything larger than small
claims court), its like 50$ at your local court to file a suit, and if you
win, you'll get that money back.

If you're seriously concerned about the issue, take a stance and file some
complaints, don't just say "Google, why aren't you doing anything?"...

A possible example:  If you grew fruits, and got a booth at a farmers
market, and someone walked up and stole an apple.  You wouldn't ask the
farmers market to fix it for you, you'd either have to run after the guy,
and get the apple back yourself, or sit quietly.

- Dan