Dmitri - thanks - that's perfect.

So, we have two choices -

(1) For each incoming contact URI, loop over our table of stored
lookup keys, looking each one up with
ContactsContract.Contacts.lookupContact(resolver, lookupUri) and
comparing with the incoming contact.

I think that will be reliable, and makes the best use of your cunning
lookup mechanisms, but could be a performance problem.

(2) Move our custom data into the generic data store in the contacts
database ( as hinted at here:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/690cd4e531205b0c/364e21a52b00491c?lnk=gst&q=contacts#364e21a52b00491c
)

That should be reliable, but I am not sure what will happen to the
generic data rows over contact aggregation and disaggregation.
Presumably we may find a contact who has two instances of our custom
data (after aggregation) or none (after disaggregation, if our custom
data stayed with the other half of the results).

(3) In our own table, keep all the raw contact IDs for each aggregated
contact we are interested in. That lets us deal with the aftermath of
aggregation and disaggregation explicitly, and it lets us search
quickly by comparing IDs, but it means we need to do something
complicated to clean up our data after a disaggregation has has
happened.

Do you think that covers it ?

Richard