I can understand the texturing/filling takes power but could it really
be as bad as dragging it down to 2,5%?
Sounds really, really bad but I have been thinking a bit about this
and come up with a two other things that might also play big roles in
pulling down the amount;
First off, (and this is a big thief I would guess) using float values
instead of fixed-point for the OpenGL stuff since this means it will
have to simulate the float calculations;
Second, I thought about this about JNI, the overhead is fairly big
since it occurs every time you make a GL (and not sure but would guess
the float sim is also native? in that case it's extra load + extra
overhead for every calculation?) call so trying to limit them by using
other methods of culling for ex. before you even get to rendering
might help avoid a few calls?

Would be really great to get this number up to at least a steady FPS
with ~ 20000 polys / frame and I feel it should be possible

ARM 11 Qualcomm MSM7200A 528 MHz with 256 MHz ARM9 2nd core, Hardware
3D graphics support with up to 4 million 3D triangles per second, and
133 million 3D textured pixels per second fill rate, OpenGL ES-
compliant 3D graphics

4 million 3D triangles per second
and 133 million 3D textured pixels per second fill rate

Feels weird that there is no "real world" way to get even 10-15% of
that on the phones?