My understanding is that "almost" all calls are made on the main
dispatch
thread, including the onCreate call. The only exceptions are calls
from specialized
threads like the OpenGL drawing thread.

This means calls are always sequential, and in particular onCreate and
onProgressChanged
will be called sequentially from the dispatch thread.

Is it possible that "target" gets reset to null at some other point in
your code?