Here is how:

1. You need to register a content observer (not broadcast receiver)
contentResolver.registerContentObserver(Uri.parse("content://gmail-
ls"), true,
                                _gmailObserver);

_gmailObserver is your own ContentObserver object.

2. ContentObserver.onChange is going to be called every time something
changes in Gmail.

Here you get all conversations like so:
Cursor conversations = _contetResolver.query(

Uri.parse("content://gmail-ls/conversations/"
                                                        + YourEmailAddress,
null, null, null, null);

And the actual conversation messages will be:
Cursor messages = _contetResolver.query(Uri

.parse("content://gmail-ls/conversations/"

+ YourEmailAddress + "/"

+ String.valueOf(conversationId)

+ "/messages"), null, null, null, null);

This is read-only access. Was all I needed at a time.

HTH.