Hi Ram,

I tried the following steps in installing Eclipse in Ubuntu

1) Downloaded classic version of Eclipse
2) Then added the ADT plugin as given in the link
http://developer.android.com/sdk/1.1_r1/installing.html.
3) Then downloaded Android Eclair package
4) Then ran the "android" tool in the tools folder of eclair.
5) Have saved the network settings in it.(Check the force.... option
provided in it)
6) And installed all packages.

If still network connection is a problem, pls check the below

If the network connection itself is a problem. Check the network proxy
settings value. (System -> Preferences -> Network Proxy).
Even if it doesn't help check the software sources server name. Go to System
-> Administration -> Software Sources and choose other in the Download from
Tab. And select the option choose best server. Once it has chosen best
server set it.
Also if you have logged in for the first time, after saving the settings log
out and try log in again.(It helped us here..)

Hope this solves your problem.

Rgs,
Sathya