While this is outright fraud,  somebody not living in USA
has VERY limited options to prosecute this.   Only goodwill
of paypal and craigslist will help here.

( I had similar issue in germany,  and it took me only 20 minutes to
instruct
a lawyer to generate C&D letter with lawyer bill over 1200 EUR for the
delinquent
- bill was payd )

regards,