If you have sync turned off, the market will ask you to 'enable
background data usage' Then takes you to the Data synchronization,
background data setting.

My guess is that it sends a list of applications that you have
installed with their version numbers, which is how it can tell if they
need to be updated.  But like I said, this is all just me speculating.

-theSmith