Thanks Philip, you are right, It should'v been mkdirs. But even so it
still returns false.

My example was a little confusing as to the directory names; all of
them are directories;

File directory = _Context.getFileStreamPath("");
File subdirectory = new File(directory, "subdir1/subdir2/subdir3");
boolean result = subdirectory.mkdirs();

the above code follows an example in the following posting;

http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/64fb55b5bd03a2cd/064b1fe40b3c25ce?lnk=gst&q=mkdirs#064b1fe40b3c25ce