Thanks! That's a very handy link.

I've succeeded in adding events to the calendar on a Cliq, but my
first event (which had no time) seems to have driven the Calendar sync
protocol mad. My Calendar no longer syncs any events back to Google
Calendar on the web, and the web interface claims I have made too many
changes and can no longer be allowed to add events by hand.

I'm going to have to write some code to try to clean up my events from
the Calendar database on the device. But I can see that this might be
part of the explanation for the Calendar API still being closed... :-)

I found a couple more links, with similar information to yours :

http://android.arnodenhond.com/tutorials/calendar

http://www.developer.com/ws/article.php/3850276/Working-with-the-Android-Calendar.htm

Richard