@robert, i'd be more than willing to contribute to such a best
practices/common pitfalls site for opengl and game development on
android. I will also send you the code for the racer, boiled down to
just rendering the racer itself so you can see and test the effect. In
light racer 3d this effect is not noticeable, the same is true for
first person games like toon warz. I'll check out light racer 2d.
Expect an email soon :)

@mrchaz you can detect on which device you are running by checking via
the android.os.build.Build.Model String (writing this from the top of
my head, just google for android build). I use the
SimpleEglConfigChoser and don't react on specific devices apart for
blur/dext/samsung behold 2 which seem to share a common bug. They
report the VBO extension but throw errors when using any of the VBO
related functions. Apart from that I wouldn't open that can of worms,
coding up paths for individual devices that is. Also, the Pixelflinger
OpebGL software renderer used in the emulator and on cyanogen mods
doesn't like deleting VBO buffers and will crash (take that for your
site robert :))

I will try to finish translating my android game dev tutorial to
english this week (I'm pretty busy with my day to day job and
releasing the full version of Newton in the moment). Maybe you,
Robert, could share that on your site too.

Awesome discussion so far. Keep it up