About reporting a loss at tax time: You can't if you only make a few
hundred bucks or so. It's considered a hobby and you cannot deduct
more than your income on that hobby. E.g. i have a photography hobby
as well. It would be nice to deduct all the costs of my camera and
lenses if i just would sell one picture :-). But the IRS don't swing
that way :)

If it's your principal income than the story becomes much different.