You know, the sad thing is that you'd find it surprising that 8th-
graders would know Java well enough to program apps for Android.

So very rare are schools and teachers who actually GET that kids can
learn to program, and properly taught, are empowered and excited by
it.

Seymour Papert was teaching kids Logo back in the 1960s. Program after
program have shown that kids can and will program at an early age,
given suitable tools and opportunity. I myself, back in the mid-1970s,
taught kids as young as this to program Lisp -- remotely, over the
network.

>From 1979 to 1982, Brian Harvey (now a lecturer at UC Berkeley) taught
computers at the Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School in
Massachusetts. He modeled the lab an experience there after the AI
labs at MIT and Stanford, and I used to religiously follow his
postings about his experiences, which were fascinating. I've just
located for your reading pleasure a talk he gave about his experience:
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~bh/freedom.html -- but that scarcely
begins to cover it.

Java is not some monolith that has to be taught all at once, nor is
Android. Kids are motivated by curiosity, and if you give them a path
that's not too steep, they'll not only follow that path, but will
explore side trails and ideas that will astonish you.

Contrast this to what passed as "programming classes" at our local
high school, where my older daughter attended.Visual Basic -- just
enough Visual Basic to manage to glue screens together in the screen
designer. Not even enough programming involved to establish the
concept of a variable, of an object! (Thus, it didn't work out too
well when she tried a science fair project in Java, against a deadline
-- only to discover belatedly that she really needed to start off as
if she didn't know any programming at all.)

Look at how computers are presented within our schools today. Even
today, may teachers are intimidated by computers. When not, they're
presented as tools -- editing, drawing/paint, spreadsheets, maybe a
bit of movie production.

That's good -- but they're also so much more. They're not just a tool.
They are a platform for tool building.

But so much depends on having teachers, who know how to build tools,
and undertake to teach it.

So, Josh Beck: I salute you. I'd love to hear more about your
experiences, and I'd love to see your initiative replicated, explored,
etc. Android may yet supplant OLPC, not by trying, but simply by being
an affordable, mass-market platform in the right place at the right
timme.