I don't think you are approaching this problem correctly...

1) Now when you say 'trace' I hope you don't mean method tracing, and
while that would allow you to put it in a specific file it is so
incredibly slow that the end user would hate you for it.

2) You can create an app to read the log file, I've seen at least one
in the market.

Can you use a service (free) like Flurry?  They allow you to do some
pretty cool stuff very easily.

Why exactly are you doing this 'for development only'?  If you're
doing it during development can't you just look at your own logs using
logcat?

-theSmith