That reminds me -- check that your web server is setting the encoding
to UTF-8. And that you are consistently processing it as either
uninterpreted bytes or as UTF-8. Anything else is insane in the modern
world, but you'd be surprised at how often people configure web
servers to use some other encoding.

That's probably not either of your problem -- but if it is, you could
waste a lot of time if you don't check.