I can partially answer your question.

1) It happens automatically. With WiFi on, no IP routes are present
for the 3G network. The 3G network adaptor is disabled. Turn off WiFi,
and the  WiFi network adaptor is disabled, and the 3G adaptor is
activated.

To my modest surprise, the networks are not simultaneously present,
and so the routing table only holds one set or the other. (At least on
my Nexus One). This doesn't appear to be how my iPhone works.

2) Any active connection drops under such a switch. The other end no
longer knows how to reach the phone. There are ways this COULD be
handled, with the help of an intermediary server, which would
basically provide Network Address Translation services. I believe
something similar is going on within the cellular carrier's IP traffic
handling, but I don't know for sure.

3) Yes. Modulo problems the Nexus One has with T-Mobile's 3G service,
which are due to be fixed shortly.

4) No alert or notification whatsoever, assuming the user has already
given permission to use this network, and supplied the credentials if
necessary. The Wifi icon in the status bar will appear/disappear, and
the 3G icon disappear, but nothing designed to call your attention to
the change in status.