You have to create a NinePatch from the bitmap, and then a
NinePatchDrawable from the NinePatch.

http://bit.ly/9nS9xm
http://bit.ly/cL5sR2

You're just treating it as a graphic, rather than a NinePatch. The
resource system does this for you automatically if it recognizes the .
9.png filename; otherwise, you'll have to do it yourself.