gah, meant to reply to this part, too:

Please refer to the documentation:
http://developer.android.com/intl/de/reference/android/graphics/NinePatch.html

"Normally, the middle is transparent so that the patch can provide a
selection about a rectangle. "

As you can see, I didn't make it up.

Anyway, let me get back to you. Looking at the system's 9patches is
something I should have thought to have done, and what I'm seeing
appears to be further evidence that I'm crazy. Except about that other
bug and the documentation advice (which you might want to fix, since
that doesn't seem to be the normal use case!)