I used the ddms tool, and I am not sure what the Proximity Sensor app
uses.
As far as I can see it reads something from a file, then does some
character decoding and stuff like that, so I don't think it uses the
SensorManger API at all.

Nonetheless, I would like to use the SensorManager API to fetch data
from the Light Sensor. If that is not possible, I would like to know
why it isn't.
If there is an alternative way to access this sensor's readings, I
would appreciate if someone could share it with me.

Thanks