Hi,

I have a similar problem. I am parsing iso-8859-1 html page with a sax
parser but having trouble to display it on _some_ devices (characters é è
... are replaced by random symbols).
On some devide i have to use myString.getBytes("iso-8859-1") to display it
correctly, and on some other devices, myString will be displayed correctly.

The best solution i cold ifnd so far is to provide a user option like "force
utf8" or "force iso-8859-1" that the user can check if having problem.

Thierry.

2010/2/4 MobDev <developm...@mobilaria.com>

> Well,
> to be honest your first idea was also mine :P So I already looked via
> Google but to be honest I haven't found that many clear discussions/
> explanations...
> I also tried idea 2 and this is what I got :
>
> "Congratulations
>
> The document located at <http://xxxxx> was successfully checked as
> well-formed XML. This means that we were not able to determine the
> exact document type, but that the document passed the XML well-
> formedness syntax check. If you wish to wish to perform formal
> validation of the document, you can use the "Document Type:" option of
> the validator. "
>
> But also this has been found, even though I do not know how important
> this is :
> "The DOCTYPE Declaration was not recognized or is missing. This
> probably means that the Formal Public Identifier contains a spelling
> error, or that the Declaration is not using correct syntax, or that
> your XML document is not using a DOCTYPE Declaration.
>
> Validation of the document has been skipped, and a simple check of the
> well-formedness of the XML syntax has been performed instead. "
>
> Als, just to point out, at this point i CAN read out the XML stream by
> using the
> Xml.parse(is, Xml.Encoding.ISO_8859_1, new ExampleHandler(myAdapter));
> method...
> The only problem that remains is when I try to write on-screen the
> values...
> Btw, is there a way to trasform such a String (for example from a
> <Country ID="2" CName="Åland eilanden"/>  tag) to utf-8 ?
> I have experienced such a problem on the iPhone some time ago, it also
> received the data as ISO-8859-1 but the STring had to be encoded to
> UTF8 to be shown correctly onscreen....
>
> On 4 feb, 11:47, Frank Weiss <fewe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have two ideas for you, Mobdev:
> >
> > 1) Google for "not well-formed (invalid token)" and see what other people
> > have found regarding this error.
> > 2) Go to validator.w3.org and see if the XML file in question is indeed
> > valid or not.
> >
> > Please let us know what you find out.

Thierry.