When I change the SDK version for a project, it hangs. I end up
killing Eclipse and restarting, then doing  a Clean, and all is fine.

(I have to start remembering to turn off the automatic build in these
cases).

Perhaps you're seeing something similar? Maybe if a build tool gets an
error at the wrong point in the process, Eclipse ends up waiting for
something that's not going to happen?