XStream is really good,  but little heavyweight for use in android
app.   And XML is pretty verbose.  On the other side, JSON support is
native
in android, and well understood by various framweworks on the server
side

I started small JSON marshaller on github, which can marshall object
trees
to strings and back ( not really advanced  by now though )

http://github.com/ko5tik/jsonserializer