Hi Bob,

Thank you for your input. I think they are all interesting ideas.

I have decided to use another approach though.

So here is how we are standing:
Project A (Java) is the common base and holds the layout xmls.
Projects B, C, etc (Android) are the regular applications.

I will make Eclipse file links in project B, C, etc to all the layout xmls
from project A.
I will add a prebuild script that will physically copy the files from
project A if no hard copy already exists in project B, C, etc (so physically
copy the linked files). The aapt will run ok.
Then I guess I will also have to delete them on post build.

I choose this way because it fits most for what I need. I also like it
because I have a visual representation of linked xmls. I can at any time
replace the linked xmls with custom ones, and I will immediately get visual
feedback - the linked/physical file icons in Eclipse.

It is a little bit weird, but I think, as usability, this fits my purposes
best.

Thank you,
BR,
Adrian Vintu