You are required to hava a phone-number for your own checkout account.

But you are not required to put your phone-number on the Android
Market.
Go to your developer console, select your app and on the bottom, in
the 'Contact Information' remove your phone-number. Hit Save.

If customers still have your phone-number, maybe they get them from
market browsers such as cyrket and androlib. They got your number when
you first (and accidentally) listed it and they're slow to update your
changed market-info.
Or they just wrote down your number before you unlisted it.