I've noticed that some users have not found my app's preferences sub
menu, so I want to show that sub menu when the user first-time-ever
starts the app.

Since onCreateOptionsMenu() would not have been called yet, how can I
programmatically show such a sub menu?

BTW: openOptionsMenu() is not what I want because I want to open a sub
menu. I suppose its part of the solution though. However, I get an
exception when I call it:

Caused by: android.view.WindowManager$BadTokenException: Unable to add
window -- token null is not valid; is your activity running?
    at android.view.ViewRoot.setView(ViewRoot.java:468)
    at android.view.WindowManagerImpl.addView(WindowManagerImpl.java:
177)
    at android.view.WindowManagerImpl.addView(WindowManagerImpl.java:
91)
    at android.view.Window$LocalWindowManager.addView(Window.java:424)

even though, at the same point in the code, I can successfully open
new AlertDialogs.