Great question.

I have had the same concern as I am going to launch my first app in about 3
months which I have worked very hard on. To test before release I don't
know. I have the same questions. After release someone did point me to this
which I am incorporating into my app:
http://www.flurry.com/

So at least you know after you release how your app is doing on the
different phones.

If any Google guys read this please note that Maxood isn't the only one that
would like to know this.

How does a developer know his app will work on many different devices and/or
not have some "feature" in their app that will break on a majority of them?

It would suck if you had a really cool app but it works on only 30% of the
phones.

:-(

I am testing on two phones to TRY and get around this. the HTC Hero (running
1.5) and the Google development phone (running eclair).

But I would still like to test as much as possible on different phone
hardware.

Thank you
-Chris