Hi,

let me start by answering your questions:

1) What you refer to is usually called picking and involves a bit of
math. Your initial goal is to get a ray (defined by a starting point
and a unit length direction) from your touch coordinates. This can be
done via GLU.gluUnProject (http://developer.android.com/reference/
android/opengl/GLU.html#gluUnProject(float,%20float,%20float,
%20float[],%20int,%20float[],%20int,%20int[],%20int,%20float[],
%20int)). With this ray you can now check wheter an object in your
world has been hit. Usually your objects will have something called a
bounding volume like a sphere or an axis aligned bounding box (nice
keywords for google). All you then have to implement is a ray/bounding
volume intersection test which tests the ray against all your objects'
bounding volumes. Among the objects that intersect with your ray the
one nearest to the ray's starting position will be you touched object.
Simple eh? :)

2) There's no support for any 3d formats in Android out of the box and
i guess that will stay this way for good reasons.

3) That's a matter of taste i guess. I myself use OpenGL for
everything. Others add standard GUI widgets on top of the
GLSurfaceView. The later is a bit easier while the former is more
flexible. Chose your poison.

4) That would be cool, maybe we can collaborate :)

Additionally i want to link to Robert's great introductionary text on
Android game programming you can find at
http://www.rbgrn.net/content/54-getting-started-android-game-development.
Make sure to also check out the other articles on his blog.
Furthermore i'm currently writting a small and hopefully easy to use
game programming library for cross plattform development myself. It's
called libgdx allows you to code up your games on the desktop with
standard Java emulating OpenGL ES via Jogl and seamlessly deploy them
to an Android device without changing a line of code. I'm currently
giving it the finishing touches, the only thing missing is the OpenGL
based GUI system i rewrote from scratch as well as the Audio classes.
If you want to collaborate just drop me a line, the more hands the
faster the lib grows. You can find info on the lib at
http://www.badlogicgames.com
and http://code.google.com/p/libgdx/.

Hth,
Mario