One of my applications relies heavily on a speedy BOOT_COMPLETED
broadcast action. The original devices I designed it on, and the
emulator, each send BOOT_COMPLETED before the lock screen even
appears. I designed my app with this assumption.

As the months go by I received a few comments such as "Doesn't work",
which I attributed to the typical ignorant Market comment. I've come
to find out that on some devices this intent is not sent for almost 5
minutes after the lock screen appears! I can understand why this was
done, to give priority to their own apps at boot time, and to speed up
boot time, but it certainly makes it difficult to advertise an app in
a consistent way.

At this point I have dozens of asterisks: *You can do this amazing
feature on every phone except phone X; *You'll have to wai*AVERAGE
USER STOPPED READING*.

I guess typing this out has helped. I could probably look to see if
the system sends another "popular" broadcast even before this one.
Still, more fiddling around than necessary.