Hello,

Probably the reason why it's not working is that the /system partition
is mounted read-only for obvious (security) reasons. You need to
remount it. Search on this mail list for the exact commands.

But why do you need to edit the hosts file? Can't you use DNS to find
the IP address of your host?

Regards
Marek