Hi,

We are investigating the possibilities to package & deploy platform UI
extensions which can contain both Java code and resources - which then
can be (re-)used by applications using <uses-library> tag in the
AndroidManifest.xml.

One solution which has been discussed was to use the aapt -x option
together with the new --custom-package option introduced in November
to generate unique resource identifiers for the shared resource
package.

Then, just as the <uses-library> information in the manifest file
would bootstrap the class loader with the listed  extension packages,
it would add these packages to the asset manager as well - allowing
the asset manager to locate and load the extension resources. (This
would require a platform extension.)

So, my question is really if this is a way forward - using the 8
package bits in the resource identifiers? This solution would probably
work initially for one vendor since the allocation of unique package
identifiers would be an internal issue, but if extension packages
where to be exchanged within the android community there would be a
high risk of packages using the same identifiers.

BR
Jörgen Ekström
Software Engineer
Sony Ericsson